Saturday 19 January 2013

First entry and Introductions

Hello strange little world.

For those of you who don't know me (and you all probably do seeing as I'm sure you'll only find me through my links on other sites) this is Kesi Legend from DeviantART. I should put a link somewhere...I'll have to sort that out soon.

As you can tell, I'm rather new to this and it'll take some time for me to get used to the controls- I mean, it took me about 6 months to figure out how to answer asks on my Tumblr *facepalm*- but I hope you'll be patient with me. I need to learn!

Anyway, I set this blog up with an intention in mind. Though I'm an avid artist (artist being a strong word for what I do) I focus more on my writing- or at least I want to. You see, I've wanted to get published for quite some time, and I've always got a lot of writing projects on the go. I only started thinking I could seriously do it after finishing my first story Plastic Stars but at a whopping 250 pages typed with such a simple theme, I feel like I have a long way to go to getting publish-worthy!

At the moment, I've got two projects in the works:
  • Stallion Song- a historical/fantasy about pirates, namely one pirate who calls himself Mercutio. With the world around him shrinking, and a ruthless pirate hunter on the tails of all remaining pirates in action, Mercutio sets out to find something, anything, that will help his and his crew's survival in a harsh new world. Obviously, magic is going to be involved, and the dark shadows of Merc's past will come back to haunt him as he realises that fighting the inevitable isn't always the best option.
  • A Horse Called/Named Ox (can never get the wording right!)- a more down to earth story about a teenager named Angus who has the chance to enrol at the elite Stonechat Riding Academy on a scholarship. Not only does he have to contend with the rich students and their prejudices on a nobody like him, but he is also landed with Ox, an unsightly chestnut mare that had never had much luck in life. As the two misfits build a relationship strong enough to rival the others on the Eventing tracks, Angus has relationships of his own to forge, making friends and enemies along the way. Something similar to a 'rags to riches' story I suppose.
At the moment, Ox is the one I'm enjoying the most. I think that Song needs a bit of rework already, as the pacing is a bit patchy, and there's a lot of waiting around and not doing much I feel. Also, with 5000 words-ish a chapter, that's to be expected, so downsizing might be a good option too. I'm wanting a reader at the moment to have a look and see if the pacing really is off or if it's just me being paranoid, but at any rate it feels like it needs an overhaul. Ox is feeling simpler and easier for me to write at the moment, so that's what you'll probably see the most of here in terms of news.

I'm currently at home and not at uni, so I may not be writing too much. At the moment I'm sat here with a glass of wine (which isn't that super, probably gonna switch to tea soon) doodling up concepts for Ox characters. I find that drawing them helps me visualise them- then again, often they come out looking nothing like I imagine! Currently working on Wilde, the horse equivalent of Casanova in the story:


He's actually turning out alright! Anyway, time to sign off I think for now; I hope I keep this relatively active for you guys to enjoy!

Happy Saturday!

Kes xX

No comments:

Post a Comment